In my line of work, I use two machines
My trusty, every day, over 20 year old Singer
and the beast – this Juki Industrial for sewing thick things like leather
I’ve tamed both – almost. Let me tell you about the beast.
• Including the table, it’s one, big machine. The motor is mounted underneath the table.
• It’s HEAVY – solid cast iron.
• It must be oiled after 8 hours of use.
• Don’t EVER, EVER rotate the wheel backward (as you do with a regular machine)
or it will cause a locking up of biblical proportions. (and sometimes it just does it for fun)
• It runs amazingly, scary fast.
• It’s loud enough to wake the dead – or a sleeping teenager. (who slept through a smoke alarm)
• It makes my stomach hurt to imagine my finger getting caught under the needle.
(been there, done that on the Singer. it hurt. but this? ouch)
And that’s why I call it the beast.
I’m working on smaller things now.
and speaking of taming a beast…