While visiting Jeff in Ohio, I was forced to face one of my greatest fears, a “single” man’s refrigerator and freezer. One look at Hungry Man dinners and boxes of mac & cheese and I was a woman on a mission. What does one who works eleven and twelve hour days prepare for dinner? First, it has to be super simple and fast. An exhausted man (or woman) does not want to slice, dice, and wash dirty pots and pans.
1) Homemade Spaghetti: I made a very large pot of spaghetti sauce and divided it into two-cup portions (1 dinner + one leftover), added each to a quart sized freezer bag and froze. Add pasta and a salad.
2) Homemade Chicken Enchiladas: I mixed shredded, cooked chicken with diced green chili’s, shredded cheese, and black beans. Rolled approx. 1/4 cup portions tightly into flour tortillas and wrapped them individually with waxed paper, added to a freezer bag and froze. No need to thaw the enchiladas. Just preheat the oven to 425, top the enchiladas with sauce and shredded cheese and bake for 20 minutes. Serve with lettuce, salsa, avocados, and sour cream.
3) Grilled Chicken Salads: Purchase frozen, cooked grilled chicken – already sliced OR individually frozen chicken tenders. I purchased my favorite kitchen gadget, the salad spinner. Believe it or not, you WILL eat more salad this way because it’s ready to eat – no salad prep. Add toppings – we love dried cranberries, walnuts, and dressing.
4) BBQ or Pork Roast: I bought a whole pork loin and divided it into three sections, then individually froze each. This needs to be thawed overnight in the refrigerator. Next morning, add it to the crock pot along with salt, pepper, and a little water. If you’re making BBQ, simply add the sauce and shred the roast when you get home. If you’re having the roast, you can add onions and carrots. I also like to sprinkle the meat (for roast) with lemon pepper seasoning.
5) I found stuffed, apple and almond chicken breasts at Trader Joe’s. We tried them and they were really pretty good!
6) Fajitas: Using the sliced, pre-cooked grilled chicken, combine with frozen fajita mixture (found in the freezer section).
- Frozen Birdseye Steamfresh Pure & Simple
- Individually shrink-wrapped, microwavable sweet potatoes
- Baby carrots for steaming
Offer up your quick & easy, no-brainer (and I mean no-brainer) recipes.
Links are also welcome!