- it’s interchangeable. Once your notebook is full, switch it out for another!
- It’s made from recycled materials.
- Want to use scrap fabric, felt, leather? Done!
- Want to insert a calendar instead of a journal? Done!
- Want to embellish until the cows come home? Done!
What You’ll Need:
an old fashioned, cardboard composition book as shown below
recycled suede or leather/fabric/denim/felt…
scrap fabric and/or leather for embellishing
long strip of leather, suede, or fabric for your tie. (mine is approx. 24″ long)
sharpie (if using leather or suede)
fabric marker (if you’re using anything else or don’t want to use a sharpie)
punch and hammer
What You’ll Do:
Measure the height of your book and add about 1/4″. This is your total cutting height.
Cut another strip approximately 2″ wide x the total height.
(this will go inside the back flap)
If you’re hand sewing:
Fold the suede into the inside flap 3 1/2″.
If you’re using suede or leather, mark with your sharpie about every 1/8 – 1/4″
If you’re using fabric, mark with a fabric marker OR eyeball it when you sew.
For the leather or suede, you will want to take your hole punch and hammer and punch through.
Doing this will make hand sewing A LOT easier on your poor little fingers.
Hand stitch the top and bottom edges where marked.
If you’re machine stitching:
Fold the suede into the inside flap 3 1/2″ as shown above.
Stitch about 1/8″ along the folded flap at the top and bottom edges to form a pocket.
to the side which will fold over from the back to the front.
- Add an inside pocket to hold clippings
- use a button and tie to close
- use velcro to close
- add flowers, stars, words, etc to embellish
- use one of your old leather skirts, jackets, or…
- use an old leather/vinyl/fabric handbag as your cover!